Friday, June 17, 2011

Hot pot hankerin'


Well, I didn’t get this post up Thursday day as I’d originally intended.  As some of you may know Vancouver was a disaster zone in the wake of the Stanley Cup loss on Wednesday evening.  My initial plan to write this post was rapidly put to the sidelines as I (and 99% of the rest of the population of the city) watched in horror as our downtown core was ripped apart and set ablaze.

To those friends who were there, and are expressing regrets about not having “done something” please know that the fact that you’re still here to have those regrets is thanks enough.  The city can be rebuilt (both physically and emotionally).  You cannot.

Also, to those citizens who took to the streets the day after to voluntarily clean up: THANK YOU!  As much as everyone is saying that this kind of selflessness is what Vancouver is all about, it is also what basic human decency and goodness is all about, and my dears, you’ve displayed it in spades!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I am proud to call you my neighbours.

Now, where was I?  Oh right.  I blab about food here.  Best get blabbing.

Some years ago I was working for a company which would on occasion make the job seem almost worthwhile by treating the staff to lunches.  One of my favourites was when we’d get taken to a local, somewhat higher-end Chinese restaurant.  I was introduced to an absolutely stunning eggplant hot pot which, when I ordered it, the senior partner wielding the credit card for the meal would lean over to the wait staff and whisper “the OLD way”.  I didn’t dare argue, and it always came out incredible.  Soft, spongy, sweet eggplant snuggled in with minced pork, conducting their forbidden coitus on a bed of noodles bathed in sauce.

I ordered out from them on a few occasions, and even went independent of my coworkers, ordered the eggplant “the old way”, and it wasn’t the same.  I can’t even put my finger on it.  Yet, I’d return with my employers and entourage, and the partner would once again endeavor to place the whispered addendum on my order.  The waiter would give her a knowing wink and nod, and the hot pot would arrive brilliant once more.

Even though to this day I don’t know what exactly it was that was different, or why I got ripped off when I tried to act like I was in the know, I’m pleased to say that I came up with something which is delightfully close.  It’s not a hot pot.  In fact, it’s just a fully loaded stir fry, but I no longer feel the need to go pleading on hands and knees for my old job back purely for the sake of getting my hot-pot done the right way.  The OLD way.


Eggplant Hot Stir Pot Fry



1 package ground turkey (or chicken, or pork…)
Vegetable oil
¼ - ½ tsp 5 spice powder (I suspect what I thought was 5 spice was actually just cinnamon.  Turned out good, though)
1 tsp ginger (I used dried since my “fresh” ginger was withered like the old guy in the Metallica “Enter Sandman” video)
½ red onion - diced
6 (approx) shitake mushrooms – remove stems and discard, slice heads
½ red pepper - sliced
1 Japanese eggplant – cut into “French fries”
1 handful snow peas – ends cut off, and weird string thing removed (I didn’t bother)
2-3 heads baby bok choy – separated into leaves and stems.  White stems cut into crescents, leaves torn into bite sized pieces
1 package steam-fried Chinese noodles – cooked, drained, set aside
Hoisin Sauce to taste (expect 4 – 6 tbsp)

Heat a large skillet (god bless my flat-bottomed wok), and precook the meat in a splash of oil until cooked through, adding a pinch of salt and the 5 spice powder.  When no signs of pink remain remove and set aside.


Fry the onion slightly, adding the ginger after a minute or two.  You know what?  I think I added a clove or two of minced garlic at this point.  It was an afterthought then, it’s an afterthought now.  Consistency!

Next I tossed in the eggplant, adding oil as required, and tossing thoroughly.  When evenly coated add the peppers, bok choi crescents, and mushrooms.

Again: toss toss toss.  Stir and fry, one might say.

At this point I returned the meat to the pan, and about 3 tbsp of Hoisin sauce, stirring to coat.  The snow peas and bok choi leaves got tossed in next.  You could add the peas earlier with the peppers and other veggies, but I really like them having their crunch more intact.

Add a splash of water (about ¼ cup), and cover lightly, allowing the snow peas to soften slightly.

Finally, add the reserved noodles, mixing thoroughly, and adding more Hoisin sauce to taste.

Serve.


What meal doesn't need to be capped off with a dessert?  For that, sally on over to Crass Cuisine and check out how she channeled her frustrations with the hockey aftermath.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment